The Local School From 1862 Written by Roger Wiseman, October 2010
The introductory paragraph from the above publication
The Nailsworth school was founded only twenty-five years after the British colony of South Australia was proclaimed.
It expanded from its handful of students in 1862 to more than 1600 in the 1930's, lost its super-primary grades but grew again to about 1300 up to Grade VII in the mid-1950s, contracted to about 200 in the late 1980s, and is now a middle-sized primary school with about 450 students.
At its largest, it had three major solid buildings and a forest of temporary wooden ones. The first major building, from 1881, still exists as the Prospect Library complex, the building from 1917 was demolished in 1977 and replaced with a playing field, and the school is now based in the two- storey building which was opened in 1926 for students who were then in its oldest, now high school, grades. As the school has gown again another major building was completed in 2010.
For all this time the Nailsworth School has been the main provider of public schooling in the area, an area which had originally stretched for several kilometres in all directions but gradually was reduced to that of a normal suburban school. For nearly 150 years and tens of thousands of students, the Nailsworth School has been the local school.