Partnership, governance & community engagement
What does Governing Council do?
The Nailsworth Primary School Governing Council is a body that governs the school through working with the site leader (principal) to help set and monitor the direction of a site. The Department for Education has an excellent resource to explain the roles and functions of Governing Councils at https://www.education.sa.gov.au/sites-and-facilities/governing-councils.
How does Governing Council work?
A copy of the Governing Council Constitution is available here and was approved by the Department for Education in March 2023. The Governing Council meets twice a term to discuss governance of the school and OSHC. There are also a number of sub-committees that include at least one Governing Council member. The current sub-committees are:
- Parent and Community Group
Sub-committees are more informal meetings, and can potentially be held online, off site, or immediately before the main Governing Council meetings.
Who is on the Governing Council?
The Governing Council is made up of:
- the Principal
- 8 elected parent members
- 2 staff members nominated by the staff of the school
- 2 community members.
The members of the Governing Council for 2023 are:
Principal – Jenny Parhas
Parent Member (Chairperson) – Peter Worthington-Eyre
Parent Member (Deputy Chairperson) – Meagan Taylor
Parent Member (Treasurer) – Boris Petrovic
Parent Member (Secretary) – Jennifer Chen
Parent Member – Matt Kenefick
Parent Member – Luke Montgomery
Parent Member – Andrew Cott
Parent Member – April Lui
Staff member – Kate Price
Staff member – Bahareh Javidi
Community Member – Kathryn Linke
Community Member – <currently unfilled>
How do I get involved?
Please chat to any of the Governing Council members to provide input to meetings or join any of the sub-committees.
What was discussed at the last meeting?
The Governing Council met on 12 September 2023 and discussed:
- Professional Development for staff
- The School Improvement Plan and External School Review (https://nailps.sa.edu.au/school-policies/)
- Strategic planning for the school
- The collection of goods for Backpack 4 Kids
- Current learning initiatives and progress
- The facilities redevelopment of the old library (https://www.education.sa.gov.au/parents-and-families/enrol-school-or-preschool/new-schools-and-major-upgrades/major-school-and-preschool-upgrades/nailsworth-primary-school)
- School technology devices
- Work, health and safety
- School finances
Who can I contact for more information?
Please contact the school who will direct your question to one of the GC members.